- (Matthew 5:5 KJV) Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.
- (Matthew 5:5 WEB) Blessed [are] the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.
- (Matthew 5:5 NASB) “Blessed are the gentle (humble, meek), for they shall inherit the earth.
The most common term in most versions of the Bible use “meek”. But does that term mean the same today? Let’s first look at Jesus and what else He says about being gentle/humble/meek.
(Matthew 11:29 NASB) “Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS. & (Matthew 21:5 NASB) “SAY TO THE DAUGHTER OF ZION, ‘BEHOLD YOUR KING IS COMING TO YOU, GENTLE, AND MOUNTED ON A DONKEY, EVEN ON A COLT, THE FOAL OF A BEAST OF BURDEN.'”
Note Jesus uses “gentle and humble” in the first verse and just “gentle” in the second verse. (Because of copyrights this will be my last use of the NASB. The WEB that I normally use uses “meek”). Regardless of which word is used, it still implies a gentle and peaceful manner. A person who’s words of truth speak louder than the most boisterous person.
From the Psalms we get more detail on the meaning of Jesus’ words.
- (Psalm 22:26 WEB) The meek shall eat and be satisfied: they shall praise the LORD that seek him: your heart shall live for ever.
- (Psalm 69:32 WEB) The humble shall see [this], [and] be glad: and your heart shall live that seek God.
Both words, humble and meek are used, but with the same outcome, if we seek God, our hearts will live forever. This is inheriting the earth!
The book of Isaiah has a lot of prophecies about Jesus. Let’s see what Isaiah says about being meek.
- (Isaiah 29:19 WEB) The meek also shall increase [their] joy in the LORD, and the poor among men shall rejoice in the Holy One of Israel.
- (Isaiah 61:1 WEB) The Spirit of the Lord GOD [is] upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to publish good tidings to the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the broken-hearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to [them that are] bound;
Notice the people that are called meek. All of these people are the opposite of successful influential people. When the worldly people seem to have it all, our day is yet to come and is sure to come. This is inheriting the earth!
Paul’s closet fellow laborer was Timothy. Paul also gives us clues into what meek means.
- (1 Timothy 6:11 WEB) But thou, O man of God, flee from these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness.
- (2 Timothy 2:25 WEB) In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God perhaps will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth:
There is no assurance in these verses that all their labors are worth anything! But isn’t this the epitome of a meek and humble person; all about what they can do for others with no regard for themselves. How many times do people burn out at churches (including preachers) because they receive no appreciation from others. It is certainly recommended that we encourage one another. But there are those who follow God’s lead and through victories and defeats, and depend on God’s affirmation alone.
Peter is also one of those people. He was admonished by Paul at one time in his ministry and yet later on credited Paul with writing scripture. Here is a simple case of keeping his eye on the prize knowing one day he would once again be in the presence of Jesus – his living Lord.
(1 Peter 3:4, 15 WEB) 4But [let it be] the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, [even the ornament] of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price. … 15But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and [be] ready always to [give] an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear.
God is our living hope. We are heirs to the Heavenly Kingdom of God. And the very way we serve is our witness to God’s presence in our lives and our assurance of a place at the great supper table.
This is inheriting the earth! wayocross
Copyright © 2020 – Not really because of new laws – but it would be certainly appreciated if you would include the link to the page or post that you used. And please share your link with me.